Events and History from Gelvin, Dungiven, Co. Derry, Ireland.
Galvin was always a two teacher school (principal and assistant teacher) with the number of pupils rarely exceeding 50. The building had two classrooms separated by a wooden partition and pupils progressed from the junior room to the senior room at the appropriate level of learning. Teachers tended to stay for relatively short spells. However Michael Gillespie, who came from Moville in Co Donegal, served as Principal from 1908 until 1941. Thelma McLaughlin came to the school in 1947 as Assistant teacher and was appointed Principal in 1965 a position she held until the school closed in 1967.
Both spellings GALVIN and GELVIN occur in the school records.However the spelling GELVIN occurs in practically all other external documents.